Monday 1 November 2010

Digipak Research and Planning

The measurements for typical CD digipaks:
12 cm X 12 cm
          = print size, with a spine. 




How will my audience recognize the genre of the music from viewing my digipak?
The digipak shall be suited to the music genre intended by the key concepts which I shall bring present, including the target audience's preferences.
This involves:
- Color type/range
- The clothing/costumes the people wear. Eg, how revealing outfits shall be etc..
- Font, size and color of the text
- How illustrative/amplifying/disjunctive it is in regard to the messages and themes of the music on the "CD"
-The title of the digipak, in reference to the above


How will the 'house style' be linked to the brand image of my band?
How will I link the styles of the video, cover and advert all together, so it all matches?
The style of my work in the three sections shall relate to each other, because I will apply the same set of rules for each detail that I undertake when creating this.
I will use the same:
-Typography style 
-Coloring style/theme
-General concept
-Clothing style 
-Location type
-Link the title in with all the other aspects of advertising and imagery around it


What is the digipak cover for?
Arguably, the way that a digipak works, and the important role which it plays in promoting the music within it has now changed as technology has drastically developed to the stage where the majority of people are buying online. In my opinion, this new change in technology makes the importance of the digipaks appearance extremely necessary to reach out to the target audience; whether getting them to click on it in iTunes or to take it off a shelf in HMV.
The digipak is for:
-Attracting the band's target audience 
-Advertising on the shelf/iTunes charts 
-A collectable, and something to make the band's music appear more special 
-Visual promotion and display of the music that's within it
-A way to get a better feel for the band 
-A way to give more appreciation to what the band's interests and visual values are like outside of just the lyrics 
-A visual way to express the lyrics and songs in general


The size of the advert?
I need to think about the way that the band shall be advertised. Regarding the amount of page space which my chosen band (Chris Eaton.. who I shall explain more about later) could afford to advertise with in a magazine - I would say that he would have an average amount of money to advertise, because although he is not signed to a major label, he is one of Britain's classical songwriters, having worked with Cliff Richard, etc. Therefore he would be able to take up about half the page space. The magazines which are appropriate for my target audience would be for mature audiences, such as the category who enjoy the 'easy listening.' I could save some money by using the advert online though however, for instance - through viral marketing on sites such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and his site alone.
I would need to consider the variable cost of advertising through magazines and through the internet, then sum up which one is most efficient.. or, whether I could advertise both ways, but spend less money on one rather than the other.
Here is my advertising research:


This was found on: 
http://www.marketingminefield.co.uk/traditional-marketing/print-advertising/costs.html
I have established that it would be most effective to advertise through viral marketing on the internet, because that way, word gets out faster and it is free. However, I have found out through this research that it would be approximately £100 for a half page ad in a magazine, which I think my singer could afford, if he advertised in just a few magazines. I would try this out and then see how effective it is, and how well it reaches the target audience, then I would act on the successes of this advertising plan.


How shall I get the photos taken for the digipak?
I shall use my SLR camera D500, to take images for my digipak. I do not wish to take pictures whilst filming my music video, because I want to visually portray the artist's music as a whole, rather than just for the one song which I am shooting the music video for. Therefore, I shall book a separate shoot with specific chosen models, in specific locations to match the artist's concept of what he's all about, and also so that I can reach my target audience effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment