Tuesday 1 March 2011

Q2. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Right from when I started planning my digipak, magazine advert and music video, I knew that they all had to be coherent with each other - adding up as a package that had a house style and 'co-ordinated' with each other, adding to the overall promotional benefits and success.
This was made clear by the original brief:
A promotion package for the release of an album, to include a music promo together with: 
  • a cover for its release as part of a digipak (CD/DVD package);
  • a magazine advertisement for the digipak (C/DVD package).
This design brief basically insinuated that I had to make a media package which 'complimented' each other and linked overall with each other. This added up to us needed to make a marketing package. 


When developing the idea of these three media products, I had to keep in mind that they all had to add up as a marketing package as part of the result. 
To make this simpler, I had to use the 4 P's:
Price - is it costing a decent amount which the audience can afford?
Product - are the products of good quality? 
Place - is the place convenient? 
Promotion - is the promotion campaign well thought out? Is it effective?


I researched into the averaging pricing of digipaks, so that my own price stayed within reason too. All of the different products had to be made with having a house style. 

Regarding the intertextuality, I feel that the same overall theme of 'light' was used throughout each different media product which I created. I.e.... 
  • I used sparklers and candles for my digipak. 
  • I used a sparkler for my magazine advert.
  • I used sky lanterns in my music video many times, and ended it with that concept.
    • I also feel that this all conveyed the right message for my target audience, as the title was 'Dare to Dream' and I feel that this corresponds correctly with the theme of 'light,' as it symbolizes hope and is also a symbol for Christianity. This is therefore also suited towards the Christian audiences - due to the genre of the artist being 'Christian Pop.'
Regarding the rest of the intertextuality, the fonts were also the same throughout each of the three media products and the 'atmosphere' I feel was too. The target audience was kept strongly in mind throughout the creation of each project, and I feel that this was paid off strongly at the end. 

Furthermore, I made sure that I kept the same: 
Contextual language, linguistic style and mode of address.

Using the same overall theme I feel really helped to put the 4 P's and all these other necessary conventions together in order to make a successful media package.

I kept the linguistic style rather formal, because my target audience was aimed for middle class people, between 28-48. 

The images referenced to Chris Eaton's song message - about 'daring to dream.' (This being the use of light in the majority of the pictures).

The font was also something which I tried to co-ordinate with the images and style - making the font be in a light yellow colour, and having a 'scripture' style font which coincided with the idea of scripture writing.

The use of media language overall here was something kept necessary to be in coherence with each other, so that the three media products overall related and promoted each other beneficially. 

This is because the idea of selling the digipak, magazine advert and music video as a package all comes together by branding. Keeping the niche and style consistent to the expectations of the target audience was the key behind selling the three items together as a package. The brand came from this consistency.

Here I did some audience researching how coherent they thought my marketing package was:





My audience agree with the evaluation below:


In my opinion, the branding of my marketing package is coherent because they link together for different reasons:
  • I used the colour white, which is M=0% M=0% Y=0% HTML code - FFFF
    • I used white in contrast with black, which is C=10% M=100% Y=100% K=100% HTML code - 000000
    • I also contrasted the black and white with bright yellow in all three media texts, which is C=0% M=4% Y=44% K=0% HTML code - FFFF7F
      • The advantage of using colour codes are so that you can get the same colour tone used across all texts. 
      • I used CMYK instead of RGB because CMYK is the colour coding for printers, and the RGB colour coding is for computer screens. I needed the quality in the print. 
  • These colours came very useful in linking the media texts together, as it gave an instant link from first appearance. 
  • The font type also plays a part in this, as the fonts in my digipak and magazine adverts are sans serif fonts. I did this to break the informality of the media text.
  • My posture and proxemics stood up right across my media texts.
  • The lighting was the same throughout the texts, morealess, because of the naturalistic lighting which occurred from the high contrast in lightening objects against dark, such as candles, sparklers and sky lanterns. These light objects appear in my digipak, magazine advert and music video. 
    • This makes the ultimate theme which gives coherence to this marketing package; being the authenticity of the theme of light relating all the media texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment